Teaching a Staffy puppy to sit is always a great place to start when embarking on any form of training. It’s the corner stone of basic obedience training and the ‘sit’ command can be highly useful in many situations. Such as on the side of the road before crossing, having your Staffordshire Bull Terrier wait in front of a bowl of food, when someone is coming into your home or before you put the lead on. The list is endless and it’s a training command that everyone should start off with.
How To Teach A Staffy Puppy To Sit
Teaching sit to your Staffy puppy can be easy and stress free by following these steps:
- Start by holding a high end treat just in front of his nose and don’t do anything until he sits. The key here is to let him work out what he needs to do. He will probably try other things first such as pawing, licking or looking at you but be patient and wait till he sits on the floor on his own without guidance from you.
- As soon as he does sit then give him the treat.
- Repeat this until your Staffy is sitting reliably and then start intruding the word ‘sit’ when you present the treat.
- Once he has mastered that you can then start phasing out the treat so he can sit purely with the voice command
- Make sure you only train your Staffy in short increments so your Staffy doesn’t get bored.
Teaching Sit To A Staffy Puppy Video
Below you can find an excellent video showing exactly how to do the above steps when attempting to teach a Staffy puppy to sit. We are a big fan of Victoria Stillwell and highly recommend her training techniques!